"We'll leave the Light of Christ on for you"
History of Tallula Christian Church
In October, 1834 six persons met with the Rev. Theopholis Sweet to form the first Christian Church in the Tallula Community.
They met in the homes of members until 1847, when the first building of worship was erected on the William Smedley farm about two and a half miles west of Tallula.
There were no regular ministers up to this time, but Theophilis Sweet, Robert Foster, and Barton Stone were among the first to minister to this small church.
In 1864, while Elder H. Osborne was Pastor and Tallula was a growing, progressive town, the congregation constructed a house of worship in Talulla at a cost of $4000. Over a period of years there were numerous additions and improvements until in April 29th, 1958, this building was destroyed by fire.
A new site was selected and a new building erected, and on November 8, 1959 Dedicatory services were held. Rev. Edward Feisal was minister. This new building was paid for two years earlier than originally planned, and in 1967 the mortgage was burned.
In these 178 years the Christian Church has stood as a leader in the spiritual life community.
Our vision is to make this a rural church of growing influence and strength, with our sights set on Christ, our Master and Sustainer.